Friday 10 June 2011

Of Wise Teachers, Great Wisdom, and Evil Sandflies

I'm thinking of the books I'm reading as communications from wise teachers, as I think I always have. I've been reading books on world religions and philosophies for many years - btw, I recommend Karen Armstrong as an excellent starting point on the history of world religions - but I was always reading from a very detached, objective place. It's so exciting to be allowing myself to read to learn, rather than to have nothing but a theoretical familiarity with the Big Ideas.

On that topic, I'm still reading EVERYTHING, thanks to getting a week off work. (I got to hang out in a beautiful and sunny country, by the beach - I have been truly blessed in marrying a Mediterranean girl!) My librarything page has everything I'm reading. The Higginbothams' introductory books to Paganism are fantastic. Even though I'm already a bit past that point in my studies, I loved their meditations and exercises on belief, the Divine and the Universe - and I think it's important for me to go through some of them and carefully consider my religious/belief/faith story so far. From their bibliography, I've found Joseph Campbell's books on myths, two of which I'm currently reading. Among a few other things. (Believe it or not, I'm dyslexic. I'm a paradoxical devouring bookworm!)

Outside of the more specific reading, though, I picked up Signe Pike's Faery Tale after Fire Lyte recommended it on his podcast. I thought it would be some fun, interesting light reading for my holiday. I devoured it in a few days - and it was far more than just fun and light. This is a deeply spiritual memoir, from a woman who, like the great pilgrims and mystics, followed a call across the world so that she could encounter something Greater. I was completely enthralled by Signe's story, and it's beautifully written. I recommend it. (Did I mention that I've been seeing a well and a raven in some of my meditations? The book features these two things, and seeing what they meant to Signe helped me to begin to understand what they might mean for me. Lovely synchronicity there.)

Apart from reading, my holiday in the sun was the usual rollercoaster. My Angel has a complicated family life, which I find stressful, although it's getting better. I got bitten repeatedly by a particularly vicious sandfly to which I was a bit allergic, and had a dreadful flight home (during which I was refused a seat from which I could walk to the toilet - the disabled traveller's nightmare - and then threw up and passed out). But I am home now, and recovering in bed while getting to do more fabulous reading. So it's all good really.

This post brought to you by Kindle. Save the trees! :)


Quotes of the day:

"'Moons are very important.'
'I'm blowed if I'll let a ball of shiny rock tell me what to do.'"
- Magrat and Granny Weatherwax, Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

"'Witches just aren't like that,' said Magrat. 'We live in harmony with the great cycles of Nature, and do no harm to anyone, and it's wicked of them to say we don't. We ought to fill their bones with hot lead.'"
- Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett


No comments:

Post a Comment